Monday, August 20, 2012

AIA Weapons Sound Design






Hello, My name is Jackson John-Maire.
On the Video above it is demonstrating weapons in UDK. The sound were all created by me. Today I will go over what sounds I used, what mixing, and processing techniques I chose.

First lets start with the sounds used when you pickup a weapon.
Sounds
    .45 caliber springfield xd compact being chambered.
    velcro being ripped apart
My thought process was I wanted realistic feel. when you pick up a weapon to fire you take it out of the holster then chamber it. so I implemented this process when you pick up a weapon it give it that effect of unholster and chamber ready to fire. To get the sound I layered the velcro sound with the firearm being chambered making sound like one, two step without lapse.

The riffle regular fire
Sounds
     Barret .50 Snipper Riffle
     First 3s of a youtube video clip from FPS Russia
     Tail end of a Fired 40mm Machine Gun Recording from FPS Russia page.

My main goal for this weapon was straight raw power. by blending the blast from the .50 barrat and the tail end of the 40mm machine gun. the end result was a weapon with insane force of power. after achieving this I wanted it to sound to also match the look of the firearm, I did this by adding an electrical element when it is fired. the electrical element was the sound of a popular youtube page I took the sample and blended it at the end of the rifles firing cycle. the sound where not processed much my intentions where to keep them simple and more organic than synthetic sound.

Specialty Fire, and Explosion
 Sounds
    electrical loop
    wind gust
    car impact glass shatter loop from logic
    bone breaking loop from logic
    explosion from 40mm Fired
    .50 Barret Snipper Riffle tail end of a firing cycle

   My goal for this option in the rifle was to create fire power that will make your enemy surrender.
So in order to achieve this i figured put two powerful weapons together, I took the initial blast from a barrat and the explosion from the 40mm then eq the low-end to give it more impact. after doing so I added the electrical element to it as a final touch of insanity, the wind gust is subtle but without it you dont get the full impact of power. I then added the sound of impact from a loop i found in logic the loop is impact and glass shatter but, blended in with the rest of the sounds it gave it a more agressive element to it. with all the sounds used I stayed in the organic mode, by not over processing the sounds and just eq, and blending to get the end results.

Picking up ammo
Sounds
 Type writer loop
    For this sound I was looking for a sound that was subtle but got the main objective. I came to making this choice from listening to other sounds most popular games used, and came up with my own. what I did was get the sound of a old type writer and did a slight pitch shift and that was all.

After completing all the sounds I implemented them into the udk engine, by using sound cues. by using the sound cues the weapon dosent sound exactly the same this gives the player a more realistic experience.



 




   

No comments:

Post a Comment